[mythtv-users] Help running mythzoneminder

leifontheroad leifontheroad at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 25 18:52:34 UTC 2008

I'm trying to get the mythzoneminder plugin running and I'm a little confused as to what to do. I'm running mythtv .21 on a combined FE/BE machine, and I have a separate machine that runs zoneminder. My mythtv machine seems to be in good shape - the mythzoneminder plugin is there and I can configure it via the mythtv frontend.

What I'm having trouble with is figuring out how to get the MythZMServer running on the zoneminder box. Some questions:

1) I don't have mythtv installed on the zoneminder machine. Do I need to do so (seems unnecessary)?
2) Or can I just "# yum install mythzoneminder" on my zoneminder machine (this will install a bunch of dependencies like mythtv-frontend, which seems unnecessary, but maybe I have no choice)?
3) The wiki seems to indicate that one can just copy over the mythzmserver from the mythtv machine to the zoneminder machine. So I copied over the mythzmserver (/usr/bin/mythzmserver) from my mythtv machine over to the zoneminder machine, but when I try to start the service, I get "mythzmserver: unrecognized service". BTW, I get this on my mythtv machine as well, which seems odd.

I could of course go the route of compiling everything, but that doesn't seem necessary since the issue doesn't appear to be with the repositories.

Thanks for any help.

-Leif