[mythtv-users] Should I be locking tables if I change mythconverg data in a script?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Mar 25 16:36:20 UTC 2008

nospam312 wrote:
> I currently run a script regularly to tidy up data in the mythconverg
> database.  Currently I have no locking functionality in the script so
> I guess if myth tries to access the data at the same time as the
> script is updating some data things may go wrong.
>
> Should my script have some locking/unlocking in it and if it should is
> there any examples of what I should be doing?

Apart from optimize_mythdb.pl there's not much you should be doing for regular
operations. (I don't know about those folks who have videos or music
collections.) Why don't you set up a cron job to run your script(s) at some
point during the night when you can almost guarantee that nothing will be using
the database? That's the approach I take.

Mike Perkins