[mythtv-users] Database setup

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 25 02:20:49 UTC 2008

Harry Devine wrote:

> OK, that worked.  I was able to login to mysql and run that command.  I
> ran all the way through the mythtv-setup, setup the capture cards, etc.
> Then when I run mythfrontend and go into the Utilities/Setup.  I entered
> my hosts IP address, and the mythtv user and password.  After I left
> that screen, the front end goes away, and when I try to start it again,
> it tells me that it cannot login to the database then asks me for the
> information again.  I really don't want to put the root user in there at
> this point.
>
> If I try to login to mysql from a command line, I can as root, but not
> as mythtv.  I don't use mythtv's normal password (i.e. "mythtv").  I
> changed it so nobody can SSH into the box and cause any damage.  Just to
> be safe.  Anyway, if I login to mysql using mythtv as both the username
> and password, I can login.
>
> So I guess I'm closer, and my next question is how do I change the
> password in the mythconverg database for the mythtv user to be my normal
> mythtv user password?  Or should I just use mythtv on the frontend for
> the password and leave it alone?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

I think I answered my own question.  I was making the assumption that
the mythtv user in the mythconverg DB was using the local mythtv user's
password.  Apparently not, since I changed the setup program to use
mythtv as the username and the password and it worked fine.  I'm OK with
that.  Whatever works.

Thanks alot for all the help!  BTW, I wrote up a text document on what I
did to get mysql going from scratch.  I can send it to the list if
anyone is interested.  Or, better yet, I can add it to the Wiki (even
though I've never done that before but it doesn't look to difficult).

Harry