[mythtv-users] I set up my MythTV system the hard way!

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 01:52:49 UTC 2008

> Obligatory: Or CentOS if you'd like to avoid the OS upgrade treadmill.
> Fedora only supports a distro for one year after its released. RHEL (and
> thus CentOS) supports it much longer (don't remember exactly how long). The
> procedure to set MythTV up on CentOS 5.1 is almost identical to Fedora Core
> 6 (just make sure you also enable the atrpms-testing repo or are willing to
> manually install a few RPMs from it).

I recently went down this path. It's good from the point of view that
you won't get caught up in the endless Fedora upgrade cycles. But
there is a downside - there aren't as many packages available for
Centos as Fedora so you might struggle on occasion to get the packages
you need. Having said that, Axel does provide RPMs for Centos at
atrpms.net so if you just want a standard MythTV install you can get
it all there. But if you want a few esoteric packages, well that could
take longer.