[mythtv-users] A different issue playing DVDs after upgrading to 0.21

Dale E. Martin dale at the-martins.org
Tue Mar 25 01:25:01 UTC 2008

I'm running on Debian from the debian-multimedia packages.  I have
libmyth-0.21 version 0.21-0.6etch1, which has the changelog:
      o 03_changeset_16483.patch Fixes DVD menu handling problem.

Here's what's happening...  Some DVDs play fine.  Shrek 2 plays fine for
example.  But we have "Flight of the Conchords" from Netflix and it won't
play correctly.  We watched the first 3 episodes before upgrading, and now
those episodes won't play any more after upgrading.

The DVD menu plays fine, I can pick an episode, and then everything just
sits there.  The cpu load goes through the roof, there are lots of
"prebuffering pause" messages, and then it just sits there with the DVD
menu showing on the screen.  If I click "next chapter" it will show the
first frame of the next chapter and then sit there pegging the CPU more.  I
can also skip forward 10 seconds and it just shows a single frame.  One
thing I have noticed is if I play the preview for the first episode, it
plays it really fast with no sound and after that one episode will play.
It's really weird.

Details: the system is running Debian etch, kernel 2.6.18, and the
debian-multimedia packages.  The audio is set on "ALSA:default" for both
the output and mixer.  The hardware is an Athlon XP 1600+ with an NVidia
MX400 card driving TV out (640x480), and the machine is a dedicated
front-end.  I have the playback profile on "CPU--" for the moment, although
it seems to work OK on "normal" for other things.

Lastly, you can see the logs from the frontend while this is all happening
here:
http://maui.doit.org/~dmartin/mythfrontend.log

Thanks for any insight into this issue!

  Dale