[mythtv-users] what exactly can you record in QAM mode?

Eric Mesa ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 19:31:08 UTC 2008

So if I have a QAM/ATSC/NTSC card such as, for example, (
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116016 ), I
understand that I can only record in NTSC or QAM or ATSC.  (especially, as
far as mythtv is concerned since the analog tuners aren't working with the
current drivers)  When I'm in QAM mode can I only record the unencrypted HD
Channels or can I record anything from channel 1 and up?  (Provided it's
unencrypted, of course)

To put it another way, if I wanted to watch Digital (QAM) channels from my
cable provider and didn't have a MythTV, I'd need to rent a box from them.
Is that box switching between NTSC and QAM as I go from normal to digital
channels or are all channels being transmitted in QAM while channels 1-120
are ALSO transmitted in NTSC.

In case it's provider specific, I'm using Comcast in Anne Arrundel County in
Maryland.  But I would imagine that they'd be roughly the same across the
state.

--
Eric Mesa
http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com