[mythtv-users] Mythtv nube questions...

allene222 nabble at oldpaloalto.com
Mon Mar 24 18:37:30 UTC 2008

I am trying to decide what to do.  I am totally new to Mythtv.  I have been
running a small linux web and email server since RedHat 4 so have some
limited experience there.  I have read tons on MythTv but have some
questions.  I want to do OTA ATSC only and display on either a 4:3 TV or a
720p projector.  I am favoring the HD-HR box for the tuner.

How much computer power do I need if this is in one box?
I have read that splitting it into a backend and a frontend box would mean
the backend would not need to be that powerful.  What does that mean?
Specifically, would the 1.2GHz embedded microATX Intel computer be enough
power for the backend?
What would I need power wise for a frontend for the 720p HD box?
If I use a MediaMVP for the SD-TV, would that be all I need for daily
viewing?
Would MythTV be able to fill the 4:3 screen by cutting off the edges of the
picture or would I always get letterbox output?
I need SD-Tv in 2 rooms so could I watch both at once using two MediaMVP
boxes?
Would I be able to watch a show recorded in HD using the MediaMVP and the
simple backend I described (or the minimum you think I need)?