[mythtv-users] I set up my MythTV system the hard way!

Darryl Hirschler Darryl.Hirschler at practiceworks.com
Mon Mar 24 14:01:09 UTC 2008

I am a Linux and MythTV newbie.  I fooled around with Mythbuntu, and not
really sure why I decided to do this, but I decided to abandon Mythbuntu
and go at it from scratch.  So I did the following:

- Set up Ubuntu Linux 7.10 on a freshly-built system

- I even manually partitioned the drive and made a jfs partition

- Miraculously the Dvico card AND the Hauppauge HVR-1600 were installed
automatically.  However, I know I am only getting partial support for
the HVR-1600 and MythTV does not even see it.

- Downloaded MythTV and installed it using Synaptic Package Manager

- Setup MySQL (I am also a complete noob at this) and the MythTV
database

- Setup Mythbackend

- Setup Mythfronted

I struggled a LOT and learned so much.  I think I read at least ten
different guides, none of which was specific enough to my situation.
And I still have things I need to work out such as:

- I still have to configure LIRC for my remote

- I have to figure out permissions between "mythtv" user, "darryl" user,
and "root".  I am still a little confused by some of this.  Currently,
"darryl" can launch myth-backend and start mythtv, but "mythtv" user
cannot.

- disable the screen saver

- make it auto-login (to the "mythtv" user?)

- make it auto-launch MythTV

- figure out why digital TV is stuttering

- find out if it is at all possible to configure Myth to use the
HVR-1600

I set it up with my Dvico Fusion HDTV3 Gold QAM card, but I expect my
Hauppauge PVR-500 in the mailbox in the next couple of days.  But I just
had to tell somebody.  I am so excited!

Darryl