[mythtv-users] Classic menu theme 'DVD' top-level item in 0.21

John Veness John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk
Sun Mar 23 22:01:30 UTC 2008

I've just upgraded to MythTV 0.21, previously using 0.20.2. I use the
'classic' menu theme (the one with TV, Music, Videos, etc. as top-level
items) as I find it the most intuitive.

In 0.20, there was a top-level DVD menu, under which were the options to
Play DVD, Play VCD, Rip DVD and Eject media. Now in 0.21 there is no
top-level DVD menu and these commands are instead inside the Videos
menu. I find this unintuitive.

I realise that this is to do with the removal of mythdvd and the merger
of its functions into mythvideo. But is it necessary for the end-user to
'see' this change? The menu structure shouldn't be that closely linked
to the underlying structure, should it?

Is there a way to edit the classic menu theme to restore DVD as a
top-level menu item? I've been looking at
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/tags/release-0-20-2/mythtv/themes/classic/mainmenu.xml
(the old 0.20 top-level menu),
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/tags/release-0-21/mythtv/themes/classic/mainmenu.xml
(the new 0.21 top-level menu) and
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/tags/release-0-21/mythplugins/mythvideo/theme/menus/videomenu.xml
(the new 0.21 Videos menu), but I'm not sure how to selectively move
some of the new Videos menu items to a new menu and link to it from the
top-level.

Cheers,

John

--