[mythtv-users] Database setup

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 23 01:02:40 UTC 2008

Michael Nguyen wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>> I can do all of those commands fine. I even followed the suggestion of
>> another post where I did the "drop database mythconverg" command, then
>> ran thru the steps in that Wiki article you sent me.  All went well,
>> BUT, when I run mythtv-setup I'm getting the same "Host <ip> is not
>> allowed to connect to this MySQL server" error.
>>
>> How can I completely remove all of the mysql stuff and get back to a
>> clean slate?
>>
>> Thanks for the help,
>> Harry
>>
> Hi Harry,
>
> The default configuration connects to "localhost" so you must not be
> connecting to localhost for your database.  Do the following:
>
> mysql -uroot
>
> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv@'%' IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv@'%'
> IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> \q
>
> Try again.
>

> Michael

Nope, no good.  As soon as I enter "mysql -uroot" I get "Access denied
for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)".  I was looking around
the 'Net in the meantime and saw some advice somewhere that mentioned a
SQL command to put the appropriate IP address into the DB.  That seemed
to work, as I was able to just do a mythtv-setup.  However, when I went
to the General screen, I had to change the user and password to root and
root's password.  It was prefilled with mythtv.  I'm guessing that this
isn't correct.

Anyway, it appears to me that something's outta whack here.  I don't
really want to get too far into my setup and have to scrap it all and
start over.  Now is the perfect time for me since I'm re-doing
everything from scratch, so I'd rather take the time and get it right
the first time, ya know?

Thanks alot!
Harry