[mythtv-users] Viktor's Bob deint patch for interlaced modelines

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 22 20:59:00 UTC 2008

On 03/22/2008 04:39 PM, Seth Daniel wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 04:02:29PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> [...]
>
>>>   Why?  Well, I discovered
>>> that new profiles were created: High Quality, Low Quality, ...  The old
>>> profiles still existed also: cpu++, cpu--, etc...  I kept updating cpu++
>>> assuming it was the profile being used...I was wrong.  I started seeing
>>> a performance degradation in my playback and it turns out this was
>>> because the 'High Quality' profile was being used.
>>>
>> If your profile group specifies no valid profiles, Myth will fall back
>> to using whatever will work (which may, in fact, be similar to the
>> setting in High Quality).
>>
> How exactly does a profile groups become 'invalid'?

A playback profile group is selected by the user by changing the value
in the "Current Video Playback Profile" setting.  The group itself is
neither valid nor invalid.  It's just a group of playback profiles from
which Myth is asked to choose when playing back a video.

>   At one point I had
> 5 or 6 profile groups (none of which I had created).  Some of them had
> similar, or even the same, rules.

What you're calling, "rules," are actually probably playback profiles.
There are match criteria which for each playback profile that specifies
the resolutions at which to apply those playback profiles, but I think
you were talking about the whole profile--the priority, match criteria, and

>   How does Myth determine which profile
> group to use?  I *thought* that having 'cpu++' selected in the 'Current
> Video Playback Profile' drop-down box would do this.

Yep.  Unless there was some sort of DB data corruption issue (which may
well have been the case due to...)

>   But it didn't.  My
> cpu++ profile group had one profile: if rez > 0 0 -> ffpmeg & xvideo.
> Using the Bob(2x) deinterlacer.  However Myth decided to use the 'High
> Quality' profile group (or, as you suggest, some sort of fallback).  How
> did it determine to do this?  I can't believe it would have determined
> that my cpu++ profile was invalid.  It wasn't until these new profile
> groups were introduced that cpu++ ceased to be used.

When the new playback profile groups were added to Myth, a database
update changed the currently selected playback profile group to Normal.
Perhaps it was actually using the Normal playback group and you never
noticed it had changed in the GUI.  Or, the data in your DB got
corrupted by the changes below, so Myth was "confused" and showed the
wrong name in the GUI.

Also, when that change was made, Myth attempted to leave any modified
versions of the "old" example playback profile groups (CPU--, CPU+, and
CPU++) in place (though it still changed the selected profile group),
but this may have made a mess of your DB.  Doing
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/324307#324307 (also
at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Playback_profiles#Default_profile_groups
) to get all the defaults back would have cleaned up most "messes" in
the DB (but you would have had to re-create your desired profile
group/profiles).  However, unfortunately, there's not currently a GUI
control similar to (my favorite ever) the "Delete all" buttons in
mythtv-setup for capture cards and video sources.  Once the mythui
conversion progresses a bit farther (and begins to change the settings
screens), I'll make a patch to add this kind of capability.

Another good reason to create your own profile groups is that by doing
so, you're unlikely to get messed up by future DB changes since the name
you chose (assuming you've chosen well) will definitely be different
from the old examples and will almost definitely be different from the
new example group names.

Basically, I don't know exactly what happened in your case, but I can
see a lot of reasons that things could have failed--even if you had
defined a profile group that worked fine before the upgrade.

Mike