[mythtv-users] Viktor's Bob deint patch for interlaced modelines

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 22 20:45:13 UTC 2008

On 03/22/2008 04:29 PM, Seth Daniel wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 04:02:29PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> I run HEAD so my setup isn't _exactly_ like yours.  Should you upgrade to
>>> 0.21 the first thing you will probably want to do is get rid of all of
>>> the new playback profiles that are created.
>>>
>> Actually, better would be to do as suggested on the wiki page--leave the
>> example profile groups for reference and create a new profile group
>> (i.e. 'Custom XvMC Simple' or whatever).
>>
> I don't know why deleting the profiles I don't need or use would be
> 'worse' than keeping than around.  I know what I need.  I need one
> profile that uses exactly one deinterlacer.  What advantage do I have if
> I keep around the other profiles?

You have more examples for when things change in your configuration.  :)

Besides, if you edit one of the defaults, then you may be likely to tell
someone in the future (after you forgot what you changed), "Oh, just use
CPU--," which may cause some confusion.  If instead you say, "I'm using
'Custom XvMC Simple,'" then others will know you have customized your
config.  Then, you can use a query like the ones at:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/323894#323894 to show
them your configuration.

>>>   Why?  Well, I discovered that new profiles were created: High
>>>   Quality, Low Quality, ...  The old profiles still existed also:
>>>   cpu++, cpu--, etc...  I kept updating cpu++ assuming it was the
>>>   profile being used...I was wrong.  I started seeing a performance
>>>   degradation in my playback and it turns out this was because the
>>>   'High Quality' profile was being used.
>>>
>> If your profile group specifies no valid profiles, Myth will fall back
>> to using whatever will work (which may, in fact, be similar to the
>> setting in High Quality).
> Fascinating, but ultimately very frustrating. :-)

It can be confusing when trying to get things to work properly, but I
think the general idea of /trying/ to play things back even if
misconfigured (for the current hardware/software) isn't too bad.

Mike