[mythtv-users] CPU power (was Possible small HD frontend)

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 15:56:31 UTC 2008

What I do not see in this thread (the 7 responses I have today) is
that usually by slowing the clock you can reduce the voltage of the
processor by a considerable amount and this lowering of voltage will
help reduce power by a considerable amount. Also I know for a fact
that AMD systems (Opterons) will use considerably less power measured
by a Kila-Whatt when at 1GHz at idle versus 2+ GHz idle. Also with
cool+quiet on my idle temps are around 15 to 20C less than without. I
am not talking about 1 system here I have dozens at work I have tested
as well.

John