[mythtv-users] Possible small HD frontend

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sat Mar 22 11:44:33 UTC 2008

On 3/21/2008 6:11 PM Brian Foddy said the following:
> On Friday 21 March 2008, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>>> The continuing search has revealed:
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103074
>>>
>>> 6150 graphics, should be adequate, though not upgradable.
>>>
>>> Reviewers say it is noisy though, and it looks like no digital audio.
>>>
>>> Can't get power consumption figures.
>>>
>>> And of course I hate paying the Vista tax.
>>>
>>> Still cheaper than a Mini.
>>>
>> I just looked and it's listed as "deactivated".  Also, I can't remember
>> exactly what I've read or where I've read it but I'm under the
>> impression that the Intel Core 2 Duo chips are much more power efficient
>> than the AMD chips.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Drew
>>

> Actually, I haven't looked at the AMD/Intel comparisons for a few months
> now, but if I remember, the Intel were more "efficient" because their
> work to power consumed ratio was greater.  However the AMD's
> consumed less total power, they just performed less work.  But for a FE
> machine the question should be, is the 3600x2 enough and for at least 1080i
> and below, I'm sure it is, having seen a 3800X2 play HD running at 1/2 CPU
> speed.

It should be plenty.  I run a combo BE/FE on an Athlon 2800 XP+ and it
does 1080i just fine.  My biggest issue is that I only have one 500 GB
drive.  Thus when recording one or more HD streams and attempting to
watch one as well, there are occasional pauses as the drive can't keep
up.  I really need to get an additional drive and spread the load.  :)

Cheers,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!