[mythtv-users] Am I on crack

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Mar 21 17:35:07 UTC 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 10:13 AM, Ronald Frazier wrote:

> And back to my backgrounding analogy, just like in linux, when you
> background a process somebody else just can come along and grab it for
> you. The system remembers who the process belongs to. Likewise, the
> myth master server would remember what frontend backgrounded the tuner
> and only allow that on to grab hold of it again.

Well, now you're talking about making mythtv multi-user (which is a
much more important feature to devs and plenty of other people on the
users list). Without mythtv being multi-user aware, there's no way to
implement a sensible system of allowing the person who started LiveTV
to be the only one to stop it and making this optional. Sensible
meaning easy to use and understand for end-users.

>> That being said, someone did write a patch a while back against 0.20
>> that would allow you to watch LiveTV, exit out and have it continue
>> record while you did other stuff, then when you entered LiveTV again,
>> it brought you back to where you left off. I don't remember who did
>> it
>> and it seemed like a cool feature to have but it never made it into
>> trunk. If you are looking to implement something like this, I would
>> search for this patch and use it as a starting-off point.
>
> I didn't know anyone had ever done that. That would be a handy
> starting point, but I know I've searched before and never found any
> hint that anybody had attempted it. Maybe knowing that something
> actually does exist, I'll be able to find it (sometimes it seems to
> help knowing you aren't just searching aimlessly for something thats
> not there).

I did a quick search and didn't find it. I remember keeping the mail
message about it for a while since I was tempted to patch my system
with it (there were several patches that seemed at least moderately
useful in the same post) but I probably got rid of it when it no
longer applied cleanly. Maybe whomever wrote that will see this thread
or someone else who remembers more about it will be able to point to
an archived message with the patch.

-Brad