[mythtv-users] Am I on crack

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Mar 21 16:13:56 UTC 2008

>  No.  The logic isn't flawed.  You just disagree with the premise that
>  whatever channel you were on when you exited LiveTV is less interesting
>  than some favorite channel(s).

I'm sorry, but it is. People would like too accomplish a specific
task. A suggestion is made that accomplishes something entirely
different but is passed off as an acceptable solution to the original
question.

>  Yeah.  I'm sure there are tons of jewels of TV programming that air when
>  you're not watching that channel and when you don't have anything
>  scheduled to record on that channel.  Especially since "that channel" is
>  whatever channel you happened to be on when you exited LiveTV.  What a
>  great way to find what's on.  I guess you play the lottery a lot, too.  :)

A) Thanks for just resorting to slinging mud at me with the lottery
remark and all the sarcasm. That was uncalled for, but I suppose that
was easier than trying too understand the issue.

B) This isn't about random stuff that happened to be on at some random
time while you are away. It's more specific than that. For example:

Lets say you have some spare time and nothing record, so you watch
live tv and find something reasonably interesting. Yeah I know you
probably don't work like that, but just try to pretend for a moment
that not everyone in the world is like you. You decide you need to do
something else on the system (maybe something in mythflix, or checking
the weather, or movie showtimes, or 100 other things). You can't exit
LiveTV because it will stop recording the program, so you need to
start recording it first. You go do whatever you need to, but now in
order to continue, you can't go back to LiveTV. You have to go to a
recording instead. But that now means you can't switch channels if you
lose interest in the show. You have to exit, stop the recording, and
switch back to live TV.

You have to juggle 2 different modes to serve basically the same
function, when ideally it should be seamless. Again, I have no problem
with people not having an interest in coding it up. Thats perfectly
fine. Its just the matter of suggesting something completely different
and then pretending like that somehow satisfies the original issue, or
that it should at least be good enough for them because its perfectly
fine for you (not you specifically, Mike...lots of people in general).

>  There has /never/ been a case of the MythTV developers imposing their
>  will on others and forcing them to use MythTV the way they think it
>  should be used.  MythTV is open source, after all

In the code? No, theres definitely no imposing will. But in the posts
I see it all the time. "Why would you want to do A? I have zero
interest in A. Just do B instead and you'll be just as happy as me".
It would be like you waiting for Hauppauge to release their component
HD recorder and  your wife says "Honey, why would even care? The
Franklin Mint just realeased a brand new collector's plate series.
You'll be just as happy with that"

>  >  Maybe some day I'll get around to trying my hand at this stuff.
>
>  *That* is what's imposing upon others how to use MythTV.

I'm sorry, but you lost me. How is that fact that I'd like to try
adding a feature some day in any way imposing on other how they should
use MythTV?

--
Ron