[mythtv-users] LiveTV Channel Browsing Speed (New angle !)

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 05:35:07 UTC 2008

On 3/20/08, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2008, at 10:04 PM, Josh Mastronarde wrote:
>
> > 2)  In parallel, record the current channel to disk as usual
>
> I don't think you would have much luck accessing /dev/video or /dev/
> dvb or whatever in parallel.

Yeah, I just tried that and found that out :-)  So it'd have to come
from the Myth process that's reading the device and writing it to
disk, however accessible that is.

> You also have to keep in mind that some people don't have these
> outrageous delays of a couple of seconds when changing channels. I
> know mine isn't nearly that bad. I have to wait for the external
> channel change script to execute and have the satellite box respond.
> After that, it's half a second at most.

Mine (PVR-150 on directly-tuned analog cable) is probably mid-range
(2-3 seconds), but it's slower than the TV tuner by enough to be
noticable.  I suspect people with set top boxes that have a lag
already (esp. slow ones like I used to have here) might not notice an
extra lag as much as direct-tune users do.

Anyway, just an idea; something to add to my list of projects to start
and never finish...

Josh