[mythtv-users] 'Rollbackable' Ubuntu upgrade to 0.21

John Veness John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk
Thu Mar 20 22:23:22 UTC 2008

Mike Dent wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I hope you do not mind me emailing you direct. I'm in a similar boat to
> yourself. I have just upgraded to 7.1 Ubuntu from 6.1 in readiness to
> upgrade to Myth 0.21 from 0.20.2.
> Can you tell me the procedure you intend to use for this upgrade?
> Perhaps just the outline at least :)
> I noticed the packages do not seem available as yet when I do a apt-get
> install upgrade ?
 >
> Many thanks,
>
> Mike
> UK

Hi Mike,

I hope you don't mind me replying via the list (I think it's almost
always best to keep conversations open, for the benefit of others).

Have you enabled the gutsy-backports repository? That's where I see the
0.21 packages, when running Ubuntu 7.10. Once you have that repository
enabled you should just need to upgrade your packages in the normal manner.

I intend to make a manual backup of the database first (probably just by
running the cron job that already takes a backup and moving the file
somewhere specifically labelled). I also want to find a way of dumping
to a text file all the packages (with version numbers) currently
installed, so that after the upgrade I can produce another text file and
compare the two. As I understand it, it's not just newer versions of
packages - there are some brand new packages installed, and mythdvd
package is removed. I have before/after lists of packages I will feel
more confident in restoring things back as they were, if necessary.

Cheers,

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T