[mythtv-users] [Solved] remote frontend 0.21 Desired video renderer not available

Oji John ojiwankenobi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 19:45:25 UTC 2008

 On 19/03/2008, Oji John <ojiwankenobi[at]gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll take Door #3!
>
> "MPEG2" is what mythfrontend reported. I should have made it clearer
> that I was quoting output from the remote mythfrontend.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!! --Oji--
>

> On 19/03/2008, Oji John <ojiwankenobi[at]gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > FWIW, this remote frontend worked fine under 0.20.
> >>
> >> Remote and master are running same versions.
> >>
> >> On the remote:
> >> VideoOutputXv: Desired video renderer 'xv-blit' not
> available.
> >> codec 'MPEG2' makes 'opengl,xshm,xlib,' available, using
> 'opengl' instead.
> >>
> >> Using "slim" profile on master frontend works just fine!
> >>
> >> Before encumbering this msg. with log dumps and a list of
> contortions I've
> >> tried on the remote, maybe someone has seen this and has a
> generic trick to
> >> solve the problem?
> >>
> >> Have read ticket #4792. Will wait for next mythtv updates if
> that's what I
> >> need to do.
> >>
> >> Thx! -- JC --

> > Oji,
>
> > Are you sure you mean MPEG2? Not MPEG4?
>
> > If MPEG4 a patch has been created for 4792... so either:
> > 1) Apply the patch and recompile.
> > 2) Recompile without opengl enabled (what I did). OR
> > 3) Wait until the patch filters into a fixed package....
>
> > Cheers
>
> > Steve

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Oji,
Actually if it is MPEG2 then 4792 doesn't really apply. What it's
saying is it can't find XV-BLIT i.e. XV doesn't seem to be working for
your X installation.
Maybe worth investigating the Xorg log files.

Cheers

Steve
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Steve,

Remote frontend is working now.  What I did might be unique to my setup.

Deleted my xorg.conf file, rebooted.  Voila, everything works fine.

In an X-Files kind of development (pun intended), I now have *no*
xorg.conffile!  I'll look into this later.  I'm guessing the new LINUX
ATI drivers [
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html ] for the Radeon
that's on my remote frontend has something to do with this.

I installed this new driver *after* discovering 0.21 wouldn't work on the
remote frontend, so I don't know if simply deleting xorg.conf and rebooting
would have worked as a first step.

Before, when I would invoke "xvinfo" I'd get:

"X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0"

and a comment that there was NO ADAPTOR.  Now, xvinfo delivers many lines of
info!

Also, mythfrontend reports:

"VideoOutputXv: XVideo Adaptor Name: 'ATI Radeon Video Overlay'"

where before it was unable to find the adaptor. . . which might be why
"xv-blit" wouldn't work.

Recall that everything worked fine with 0.20, so don't know which variables
I changed were actually necessary.

*NOW* everything works fine with 0.21.  Live OTA HD works better on master
and remote.  Can't complain!

Hope there are enough keywords in this to help the next person!

Thanks for the feedback and. . .

. . . GO HAVE FUN!  -- Oji --