[mythtv-users] Does anyone have a good HD solution?

Keith Lawson keith at nowhere.ca
Thu Mar 20 17:42:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2008, at 10:41 AM, John Drescher wrote:
> >> I would be amazed if PPV was in the clear.  PPV has a well defined
> >> schdule,
> >> and well defined channel assignments. VOD on the other hand...
> >>
> > Ondemand was clear for a few months for me but definitely not clear
> > anymore. I assume this is clear just by accident...
>
> I've checked several systems in this area, they are all in the clear,
> and they are different system operators. This has been the case for at
> least 2 years.

I'm in Canada and the CRTC hasn't been as nice to us as the FCC has to
Amreicans. There are no legal requirements yet for providers to enable
firewire or provide cable cards.

The thing that pisses me off though is that I am paying for these
channels. I'm paying ($12/month) to rent their shitty STB and I should be
able to then record that content on my myth device to view it whenever I want,
shouldn't I? The signal should be decrypted by the STB because I pay for
that signal.

It works out well for the cable companies when the only
functional PVR that works with HD is the crappy $20/month one they want to
rent to me, or I can buy it for the bargin price of $600 and it doesn't
have 1/2 the functionality that myth gives me.

BTW, mythtv rules!

Keith.