[mythtv-users] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:02:43 UTC 2008

On 3/19/08, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> Actually, it's 100% up to the devs what version they choose.  I'm
> actually hoping for 4.4, as soon as it's released.  (If they don't
> choose 4.4, there's a very good chance that MythBrowser won't exist in
> the next version of Myth.)
>
> If you choose to use a distro that doesn't normally use a sufficiently
> high QT version, you have 4 choices:  1) install the required QT version
> (through some bleeding package or self-compiling or whatever), 2) stick
> with 0.21, 3) fork MythTV and do all development and maintenance
> yourself, or 4) don't use MythTV.

I know it's not a democracy and it's 100% up to the devs - but I'll vote
anyway ;-)  I am drawn to Myth because it's leading-edge.  I'd much rather
compile my own QT4 and have Myth be as good as it can possibly be, rather
than compromise because we're accomodating the lowest-common denominator.  I
had to roll my own ffmpeg to make the mythweb flash player work (the version
that came in my distro didn't play nice) and I was delighted to do that to
have that additional functionality.

My Myth server is also a generalised server for me, but I don't think a
custom QT would affect very many other things.  So - I say go for as
advanced a QT as possible now and let's look to the future not the past.