[mythtv-users] CBC distributing shows via BitTorrent

Alex Harford harford at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 20:14:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

>  > Are there any existing plugins in MythTV to get shows via
>  > bittorrent, ie:
>  > http://www.cbc.ca/nextprimeminister/blog/2008/03/canadas_next_great_prime_minis.html
>
>  Discussion of torrent clients on this list has been discouraged in the
>  past. Perhaps sources like this will cause the subject to be
>  reevaluated ???

Hopefully.  There are a few ideas that I have floating around in my
head right now on how to manage this.  It seems like the major PVR
players should provide some input on how this will be done in the
future.

The main issue that I can see is how to announce shows released via BT
in advance so they get 'scheduled' by the PVR.  I think that some kind
of RSS feed could be used.  It would have to provide some metadata
that can be lined up with what Schedules Direct (or their upstream
source) provides.  Ie title, 'original airdate' in the future, episode
number, etc.

Right now it is probably a manual process for the CBC but eventually
it will be automatic, and I wonder when the torrent file will appear.
On the West Coast we are used to a time delay but the people back East
might not want to wait until after the show has finished broadcasting
in Vancouver.  Who knows, I might be able to download the show before
it airs in Vancouver. :D

Alex