[mythtv-users] Hulu.com

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 19 20:09:21 UTC 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 1:53 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Same way the BBC enforces the UK-only restrictions on its service--
> using
> IP geolocating and legislating the illegality of exporting the service
> and then playing a game of leap frog with those who choose to ignore
> the
> TOS (detecting and disabling circumvention).
>
> Basically, given enough money (and legislative support), it's
> possible.
>
> Besides, haven't you heard about some of the (US) legislation that may
> make proxying (and NAT and much more) illegal?  (Fortunately, the
> first
> couple of incarnations of this legislation weren't passed, but as long
> as there are people with money doing things like putting
> geo-restrictions on things like Hulu...)

It's most likely the MPAA types putting restrictions on their precious
"content". DRM providers like MS have convinced them they can control
everything the way they want to. Probably the only way Hulu could get
the content at all was to agree to silly restrictions that make no
technical sense in the real world.

You can pass a law against sharing mp3s, that's a far cry from
actually preventing it.

If I put a machine i somewhere and set up an encrypted tunnel from it
to my vacation home on Mars I don't see how anybody could "prevent" my
using it.

beww