[mythtv-users] Just added 2nd tuner on Secondary backend but it shows as not connected or unavailable?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 18:20:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Gerry Freymann <lists at interpool.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 12:24 -0400, John Drescher wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Gerry Freymann <lists at interpool.ca> wrote:>>  Hello!>>  My second Hauppage PVR-150-MCE TV Tuner card just arrived and I was anxious> to get it installed in the upstairs frontend/secondary backend so we'd have> access to the dish in that location (in addition to the tuner card in the> downstairs frontend/master backend).>>  After rebooting, I went into Myth Setup and went to capture cards, new> capture card and switched it to MPEG-2 Encoder card. The video device field> was already filled in, it detected the card ok.>>  For Video Sources... they were already defined.>>  On Input connections, I pointed the antenna source to the antenna input,> and the Dish source to SVideo-1 input.>>  Seemed easy enough.>>  Now when I go to the System status screen via the web page I see:>>  Encoder status>  Encoder 1 is local on mythtv and is not recording.>  Encoder 2 is remote on living-room (currently not connected).>>  What's the trick to get it 'connected' and useable?>Is mythbackend running on the second box?
>

> Yes. Here's the output of my ps aux |grep backend command
>
> freymann at living-room:~$ ps aux |grep backend
> root      4844  0.0  0.0   3084   812 ?        Ss   11:22   0:00
> /usr/bin/system-tools-backends
> mythtv    6082  0.0  1.8 175928 19388 ?        Ssl  12:05   0:01
> /usr/bin/mythbackend --daemon --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
> --pidfile /var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid

Check the logs.  Be sure of a couple things:

1.  mythtv-setup on the slave backend has the *IP address*of the master
backend properly populated
2.  mythtv-setup on the master backend has it's own IP listed properly (not
127.0.0.1)
3.  You are *not* running mysqld on your slave backend/frontend.  Many
distributions include this by default and it can result in you connecting to
a local database by mistake.

But most importantly, you should check the /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
on the slave to see what it says.

Kevin