[mythtv-users] Problem with "Enable Realtime Priorirty Threads"

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 14:26:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  I've never sorted this problem and I've got a bit of time on my hands at
>  the moment so I should look into it now. If I try to "Enable Realtime
>  Priorirty Threads", the frontend says:
>
>  2008-03-18 20:43:43.013 Realtime priority would require SUID as root
>
>  Is there a simple solution to this? I'm using Mythbuntu 0.21 and use a
>  couple of different users accounts use MythTV
>
>  Cheers
>  Damian

I use what's described here:

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html

...in the section marked "Enabling real-time scheduling of the display
thread".  It requires having PAM version 0.79 or above (I have
sys-libs/pam-0.99.9.0 installed under Gentoo), and having this in
/etc/security/limits.conf:

*               -       rtprio     0
*               -       nice       0
@audio          -       rtprio     50
@audio          -       nice       0

That's always worked for me.  I get this in my mythfrontend.log:

2008-03-19 01:32:17.500 Using realtime priority.

Tom