[mythtv-users] How to disable KDE media auto-detection?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Mar 19 00:03:16 UTC 2008

On Mar 18, 2008, at 3:46 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> I have just tried to play a DVD on my CentOS 5.1 based MythTV V0.20.2
> frontend for the first time (been too busy enjoying the recordings!)
> and while I think MythTV is detecting the DVD is inserted, I can't
> tell because KDE Daemon is popping up a dialog asking what I want to
> do with the DVD that was autodetected.  Since I am running with *only*
> a remote at this point (or ssh-ing in) I need help figuring out how to
> tell KDE I have it covered and not to bother me.  I tried looking
> through the MythTV wiki and noodling through the KDE Control Center,
> but I either missed finding the answer or it wasn't there to be found.
>
> Can anyone help me get some traction on this?
>
> Recommendation: Dump KDE and use fluxbox.  Much lighter and doesn't
> get in the way.

When your tires get low, do you buy a new car, too?

Try going to KDE Control Center -> Peripherals -> Storage Media. Stay
on the Notifications tab. Under the Medium types drop down, select the
CD-related items one at a time. For instance, Mounted CD, Unmounted
CD, the DVDs, Blank CD, Blank DVD, etc. For each one, select "Do
Nothing" and then click the "Toggle as Auto Action" button. Then OK to
accept the changes. Also, make sure KDE Control Center -> Storage
Media -> Advanced has Medium Autostart unchecked.

I remember fighting with this for a little while and some magical
settings I tried finally worked. I used to disable the HAL daemon
completely, but I brought it back so it would detect my memory cards
from my cameras and I payed with the above settings so it will still
mount those, but not do anything with anything else.

-Brad