[mythtv-users] Some problems with X on PVR-350's TV output

Simon Beauvais Simonde at gmx.net
Tue Mar 18 23:53:48 UTC 2008

Hello list,

I've now been fighting for 2 weeks with my new Mythbox and specially with getting the stuff on the TV over the TV output of the PVR 350.

I succeeded in getting the Live TV working, but I can't find the solution allowing to also get the Mythtv menus on the television.

What I did/tried:

-modifying my xorg.conf as explained at: http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:XDriver or other very similar places.

down you can see my actual file. There are no errors in the logs *neither dmesg nor xorg.0.log. I only could find warnings about the "module"-section with messages like "will not load v4l. Module not loaded if not loaded at another place" or something like this.

At boot, the machine is working about one minute. during this time, the screen is black and the tv is flattering 2-3 times: something seems to go through the wires. After this an error message appears that there is no good x-configuration and I get the possibility to continue (over a fall back  solution of ubuntu ?) or to configure manually. I am wondering that I can't find anything about this event in the logs... I had a look at dmesg and xorg.0.log... some hints for better places where to search ?

What I don't really understand here is that Google only shows me people using this option in order to eliminate the black screen in the middle of the picture. On my configuration, I can either NOT LOAD ivtv-fb and get a good result with: cat myfile.mpg > /dev/video16 and no LiveTV or LOAD ivtv-fb and see LiveTV, with online menus, and Mythtv on the graphic card... but with this configuration, If I try the Cat... video16 -stuff, I have got the black square in the middle of the picture.
Among the different things I have been able to read, I couldn't find anything about this problem... maybe it is not THE problem, an I am missing something ????

The last thing that might be linked to this whole story is that I don't have any terminal anymore on the computer display: CTRL+ALT+F1 through F7 shows only a black screen. I could imagine, that one of these blacks screen has something to do with the black square in the middle of the cat myfile.mpg > /dev/video16...

This was a quite long story, I hope there are enough details to make it possible to solve the problem. Pleas don't hesitate, if you need further informations !

many thanks in advance to everyone who can help!

Simon

========================
xorg.conf
========================
# you only need the ones that work. Delete all others, I left them in and I'm still ok
Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
        # path to defoma fonts
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

# Specific modules needed *this is important.*
Section "Module"
        Load "dbe"
        Load "v4l"
        Load "extmod"
        Load "type1"
        Load "freetype"
EndSection

# Almost standard keyboard
# Note: This setup doesn't require the keyboard to be present

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:ralt_switch"
EndSection

# Almost standard mouse pointer
# Note: This setup doesn't require the mouse to be present

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Hauppauge PVR 350 iTVC15 Framebuffer"

        # the driver we installed.
        Driver "ivtvdev"

        Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"    # frame buffer we found above
        # Option "ivtv" "/dev/fb1"   # for pal users I believe

        # below settings are optional I believe I've seen lots of people with them commented out.
        # Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M" # sorry pal don't know your settings
                                     # I believe that pal users should just comment above line out.
        Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
        Option "XVideo" "1"

        BusID "1:10:0"           # BusID we found with lspci converted as shown above

Screen 0

EndSection

#Section "Monitor"
#       Identifier "TV"
#        HorizSync 30-68
#        VertRefresh 50-120
#        DisplaySize 183 122
#        Mode "720x480"
#        DotClock 34.564
#        HTimings 720 752 840 928
#        VTimings 480 484 488 504
#        Flags "-HSync" "-VSync"
#        EndMode

#for pal users more settings: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XV_on_PVR-350#PAL

# for pal users:
        Section "Monitor"
               Identifier  "TV"
               HorizSync  30-68
               VertRefresh 50-120
               Mode "720x576"
                # D: 41.475 MHz, H: 44.693 kHz, V: 74.488 Hz
                       DotClock 42.6
                      # HTimings 720 752 840 928
                       #VTimings 576 580 584 600
                       HTimings 720 760 832 944
                       VTimings 576 577 580 602

		       Flags    "-HSync" "-VSync"
               EndMode
        EndSection

# Sorry SECAM users I don't have the codes for that but I did see them on the web
# So seek and you will find.  There are some resources at the bottom of this webpage to help out.

EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "TV Screen"
        Device "Hauppauge PVR 350 iTVC15 Framebuffer"
        Monitor "TV"
        DefaultDepth 24
        DefaultFbbpp 32
        Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        FbBpp 32
 #       Modes "720x480"
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "TV Screen"

        # There is another way to get rid of keyboard and mouse, but you can leave them as is.
        # This setup is designed to run without keyboard and mouse plugged in.
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666 # Not specifically needed as far as I know.
                     # I think it's specific to my computer's hardware
                     # Thar said all my ubuntu boxes have this line.

EndSection