[mythtv-users] Archos Video Formats ?????

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Mar 18 23:51:52 UTC 2008

On Mar 18, 2008, at 1:58 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I don't want to spend money on it. I was thinking about it for
>> my 10 year old daughter so when she drops it and smashes it to
>> bits, I
>> don't mind so much. I have an iPhone that plays back videos better
>> than I even though possible in a palm-sized device and my 17 year old
>> is saving up for his own iPod Touch or iPhone as soon as he pays his
>> taxes. :)
>
> Taxes? At least that means he has a job.

He's a chat room moderator for a "virtual music world" called vSide. http://www.vside.com
He basically sits in his room for a few hours after school a couple of
days a week and gets paid to kick annoying people out. This is San
Francisco, after all. We have all the cool jobs. :)

> I thought about the iPhone but ATT wireless coverage here is
> nonexistent, and I don't want to get involved with hacking it and
> possibly wind up with an expensive brick.

Good plan. Wait until they open it up or expand AT&T. Also, I would
wait for 3G. Edge is WAY too slow to be very useful for anything other
than mobile websites - then what's the point of a full Safari browser?

> Which of the many possible methods are you using to convert Myth
> videos for the iPhone?

I'm using the recently posted Video2ipod script here: http://wiki.djali.is-a-geek.org:8000/index.php/Video2ipod
I'm actually using a combination of that and a hacked up version of
the feedcreator script mentioned here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/274730
If I find the time(1), I'd love to have video2ipod.pl create xml files
for each of the videos and glob them together into an rss feed so I
can have nice metadata in the feed as well as embedded in the video
files themselves. Right now, the rss feed just contains the video
filename and location.

-Brad

(1) Secretly, I'm hoping the person that generously shared his
video2ipod script will add this functionality so I don't have to do
it. :)