[mythtv-users] Howto prevent MythTV flushing/Syncing disk writes (LiveTV/Recordings)

Albert Graham agraham at g-b.net
Tue Mar 18 21:23:07 UTC 2008

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Albert Graham wrote:
>
>> Also, that argument does not hold much water, because MythTV can
>> handle
>> multiple feeds/cards at once, so if you have 5 cards (and I plan to
>> have
>> at least 10) you'd be dead in the water.
>>

> Well, yes, but again that data comes in small (but time-critical) chunks
>

>> I imagine the frame buffer side of things is interrupt driven in most
>> cases, so if there are no conflicts in the hardware setup it should
>> not
>> miss any frames, so write caching would actually improve this
>> situation.
>>

> I think the problem comes when the system is unable to service a video
> interrupt in time because it's busy servicing a large disk write.

Dave,

However, this can never be the case because the video capture interrupt
will simply interrupt the disk write (which is actually for the most
part in a I/O wait state doing nothing).

Most disks can write at 60MB/s - I mean, even the crappy ones, so why
are we writing in 2-3MB/s  and syncing!, by that augment too, the
syncing would cause loss of frames/interrupt - but that is not the case.

Like I said, my disks can write a 1G file - (fully flushed in under 2
seconds - and the CPU is free during this time!), so the argument about
the "some hardware" loosing frames is hardware that is limited by design
(limited PIC etc..)  - i.e. not a PC, but some embedded set top box stuff.

Albert.