[mythtv-users] mythfrontend is shearing video playback

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:30:21 UTC 2008

On 18/03/2008, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2008, at 9:22 PM, John and Holly Klug wrote:
>
>  > Not likely in my case.  It is a Slimfit CRT TX-S3080WH which according
>  > to CNET is 1080i native.
>  >
>  > Anyway, I tried a 720p source, with 720p out, and I tried VLC, all
>  > with
>  > the same problem.  Also when I do "Watch TV" I see it.
>  >
>  > I downloaded the file called tst.tar from <http: // www . pchdtv . com
>  > /downloads/tst.tar> and it had no problems in 1080i with VLC, but it
>  > was
>  > a rather slow moving clip.
>  >
>  > So maybe the problem is my pcHDTV HD-5500?   Also Myth reports the
>  > signal strength as zero on all digital stations (maybe unrelated).
>

> You mean the driver is reporting that. You can try updating your
>  driver if it bothers you.
>

>  >  The
>  > picture is not pixilated, as I would expect with low signal strength.
>

> Did you try turning on a deinterlacer to see if it solved your problem?

John,

Your description of the symptoms is exactly what you get if you NEED
TO TURN DEINTERLACING ON!

We know yes it's a 1080i signal on a 1080i screen, however there are
known issues with this at times, and at present the best cure is to
TURN DEINTERLACING ON!

You might try searching the archives for posts about bob
deinterlacing, "Viktor's patch" etc

Cheers

Steve