[mythtv-users] WOL server using gpxe

Bill level42 at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 18 03:57:29 UTC 2008

I've come up with modifications to gpxe (etherboot) to use it to WOL my
mythtv server before the frontend boots.  I install gpxe with WOL on a USB
key, the frontend first boots the USB key, sends the WOL packet to the
mythtv server, then boots as normal as a mythtv frontend.  This advance
transmission of the WOL packet gives the backend more time to boot before
the frontend tries to connect.  This gives a jump of 10-20 seconds compared
to using a script from init.d to wake the backend.

If anyone is interested I post the code to this mailing list (if its ok to
send about 5kbytes in files as attachments).  I've only tested the code with
the e1000 driver, but it is generic and should work with other drivers.
Note that gxpe has a limited set of ethernet drivers, and you may want to
check if your ethernet chip is supported first.  If your using the e1000
driver, there are a few bugs when using it with a 82573 (and likely with
many other intel chips) that I have posted a fix to the etherboot mailing
list, but can also send that to those in need.

  Bill