[mythtv-users] 5 sec lag when switching channel

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 19:29:09 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 2:26 AM, Miroslav Suchý <miroslav at suchy.cz> wrote:
> When I switch channel on my frontend it there is big lag.
>
>  Scenario in detail:
>
>  1. I push button ChUp.
>  2. 1-2 sec pause before screen of the new channel appear. This seem to
>  be normal for DVB-T. No objection here.
>  3. 1-2 sec the playback is normal
>  4. the picture first slow down very much, then it freeze, sound will
>  freze moment (0.75sec) after picture. Then is everything freezed for a
>  while (2 sec). Then sound is restored and after moment picture is moving
>  again. It moves very fast until it "catch the time". All this take 4-5 sec.
>  5. Playback is than normal until I switch channel again.
>
>  Always reproducible.
>
>  It is very annoying I dot know what cause this. Any ideas what to try?
>
>  BTW: This happened only on frontend which is remote (ie. connected to
>  backend on 100Mbit ethernet). When I run frontend on same machine which
>  run backend this lagging do not happened.
>
>  It happened with current SVN and with verison from SVN month ago. So I
>  think it is not problem of MythTV, but some problem with my setup.

first, holy large sig batman!

ok... do you have your remote frontend setup to read the recording
file via NFS or to use the backend stream method? I find the NFS way
is quite slow so I'd suggest going into the frontend setup and telling
it to always stream from the server and see if this speeds things up
for you.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!