[mythtv-users] what is the memory requirements of MythTV on Fedora 8

Gordon McCrae gordon-mccrae at bluebottle.com
Sun Mar 16 20:28:25 UTC 2008

It also depends greatly what you're trying to do.

I have a Celeron 2.2Ghz box with TB of disk and 512Mb RAM, 3*Hauupauge
DVB-T Stick, 1* PVR-250 which shows the following while serving 4 low
spec front end boxes with SD content :

Cpu(s):  2.0%us,  1.7%sy,  0.0%ni, 90.7%id,  3.3%wa,  1.3%hi,  1.0%si,
0.0%st
Mem:    483600k total,   477472k used,     6128k free,    10712k buffers
Swap:   530104k total,       92k used,   530012k free,   280980k cached

The desktops are Wyse-V50 thin clients each with a 1Ghz Via C3 CPU and
256Mb RAM.

All of this is fine for Myth, but I'm sure if I tried running loads of
other stuff on it, I'd start getting problems.

So it all depends what you want to run on the box, just Myth is pretty
light relatively speaking, but you need to look at what else you're
looking to run.

Also, from what I've read things like HD content have even more hardware
dependencies such as the performance of the Graphics card and it's bus.

Gordon