[mythtv-users] Playback Profiles? WTF?!

Glen Hawksworth glenhawk at optusnet.com.au
Sun Mar 16 11:48:18 UTC 2008

OK, a bit of an over-reaction but they are very confusing.
I have a frontend PC that worked just well enough to view all media from
the backend/server (Live TV, recorded TV, downloaded video, music, etc.)
with only the occasional lag during HDTV.
Since the update to 0.21 I have had irregular performance which I have
found to be mainly due to the Playback Profile settings. Some HDTV plays
fine but with a greyscale OSD and other HDTV has colour OSD but lags
terribly. I have also noticed that the frontend seems to be running a
little hotter than usual.

My Questions
      * Is there a way to emulate the default settings from the previous
        version of MythTV? What are the best settings for a slower PC?
      * Does anyone have a strategy for finding the best settings using
        the playback profiles? A methodical approach that is a little
        more scientific than trial and error would be appreciated (I
        don't mind doing some background reading if I only knew what to
        look for)
      * How do you find out the resolution of different TV broadcasts?
        How do you know which settings will be used for a given TV show?
        (this is a source of great frustration becasue I try changing
        some settings and then don't know which recordings to watch to
        view the results)
      * Do the playback profiles only affect Live and Recorded TV? Does
        it affect the playback of other Video media?
      * Can anyone help me? ;-)

As long as the Video playback is reliable I will be happy. I plan to
eventually build a new higher spec frontend for the main TV and retire
this one to the spare room.
Overall I think playback profiles will be a good thing because I will be
able to optimise the settings for different types of video but at the
moment I am in over my head!!
Thanks in advance,
Glen