[mythtv-users] watchlist question - "not the earliest episode"

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 23:11:10 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:

> On some late evening  the top of such a list has the evening
> news and American Idol for example. The oldest recordings for
> me are always the movies or specials that I've never made time
> to watch and may be several months old. If someone only had ten
> or twenty recordings total, oldest first may make sense but
> I don't think most people would want to scroll down over dozens
> (hundreds?) of recordings just to find the evening news. So,
> newest at the top typically makes more sense and myth gives
> you the option of reversing this (bug noted). The Delete
> Recordings page dates back to the early, early days of myth
> and the assumption appears to be that if you want to clear out
> crud, the oldest are the prime targets.
>
> Possibly what you want is ""Sort sub-titles Ascending,
> multi-titles Descending". This would put oldest "Stargate:
> Atlantis" at the top of the Stargate list but put the newest
> recordings at the top of the All Programs list.

I actually have 124 recordings right now,  but  when navigating to a
specific program I usually use the left side title list to do so.  I did
find the "subtitles ascending, multi-titles descending" option and that
seems to do what I want it to do.

I suppose we could have a "0" days option if you'd like but it
> would still need to block out for, say, an hour. The reason is
> a potentially nasty problem.
>
> Say Stargate is at the top of your list because you have eight
> of them. You finish watching the oldest and choose to delete.
> The popup clears but Stargate is still there. You try delete
> again hoping it works this time. You've just deleted two different
> episodes. Variation: you just finished watching the dramatic end
> of an episode and, um, rush to take a much needed break. When
> you come back, did you remember to delete? Is that the next
> episode or the last episode at the top of the list? You may
> need to watch part of it again to find out. Therefore, when a
> title is deleted, that title needs to disappear from the list.
> If the title is there, it hasn't been deleted. If it's deleted,
> it's gone.

Interesting.  I didn't think of that right of because I guess I would have
paid attention to the episode title, but not every series provides those.
Additionally I do have it so that it auto-sets the watched flag when I exit
near the end of a recording (or I may even just delete it right from the
"exit recording" menu), so whatever I just watched isn't going to be showing
on the watch-list regardless.

I do let a few series pile up some episodes, but when I watch them, I may
not watch them all back-to-back but I might watch two or three.  For
example, say there's an exciting cliff-hanger at the end of one episode and
I decide I want to watch the next one right now, it would be nice to have it
right there.  Alternatively I may decide I want to watch something else on
the list.

This isn't a huge deal because, as you say, I can always just go to the
title the regular way, just one of those little things, you know?

I would like to mention at this point that I do really like this feature and
think it will be very useful even if you never made any changes to it again,
so I'm not just complaining here :).