[mythtv-users] Questions/issues after upgrading to 0.21

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 17:39:50 UTC 2008

Overall I have to say the 0.21 is a great improvement but I do have a
couple of issues.

Live TV:
I'm using an HD Homerun to receive ATSC broadcasts. When trying to
watch Live TV right after the upgrade it would work on the initial
channel but pretty much maxed out the processes and would not change
channels and interaction with the guide was very delayed (30 seconds
or more between pressing a button on the remote and see any result). I
found the Playback Profile (if that's what it's called) and change the
profile from CPU+ to Normal which seems to have largely fixed the
problem but I'm wondering what I should be using for my combination of
hardware. I'm sure I have a very marginal system for HD playback but
I'm still wondering why CPU+ was setup to be the default instead of
Normal.

 The first couple of profiles seem to use ivtv but I don't think those
are doing anything since all my data is in MPEG2 and not from a
capture/tuner card. I've tried the docs but they don't appear to have
been updated for 0.21.

DVD Playback:
I appear to be having the opposite problem from most with regard to
DVD playback with the internal player. My sound appears fine but I get
no video, just a black screen. Any ideas?

Disk Thrashing:
In general UI responsiveness seems to be improved but on the occasion
where there is a lot of disk IO going on the system seems to take
longer to recover. I've got my my.conf setup per Jarods suggestions so
I'm not sure there's much more I can do on that front. I am, however,
getting an additional hard drive and I am planning on using the new
drive only for media (pictures, music, all recordings and the ring
buffer). I'm hoping that separating the database activity from the
recording/ring buffer activity will help a lot.

Recording Priority (not 0.21 specific):
I'm using an HD Homerun with both tuners connected to the same antenna
so everything is the same. If I have previously selected to record
something and watching TV at the same time Myth will prompt me to
allow or deny the recording, however, the second tuner is not getting
used. How to I set the tuner priority such that when I choose to watch
TV it selects tuner 1 (as long as it isn't busy with something else)
and defaults to recording from tuner 2?

Thanks,
Richard

Relevant HW specs:
AMD Sempron 3000+
512MB Ram
Geforce 6200
Samsung 27" CRT connected via DVI (X detects it as DFP-0) at 720x480.