[mythtv-users] Frontend management | was: Livetv idle timer in 0.21: where to set?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Mar 14 00:22:42 UTC 2008

>  And then sticking around to maintain it as settings change...  :)

Well, thats not necessarily a problem if you implement it right. The
ideal way (at least to me) would be to implement it in a way that
forces people to keep it up to date. Tie it into the context class so
that before you are allowed to read a setting, you have to have
registered the setting. Registering it would mean that you provide
it's name, specify if it's per host or global, and provide a
description of what it does. Registration would be done once per
module, when the module first loads.

Of course, thats not to stop someone from creating a dummy
registration call with placeholder text (ex: "description goes here"),
but there also nothing to stop someone from writing really crappy
code....except for the fact that the people with checkin privileges
can refuse to accept it. You could treat this the same way. If you
don't document your settings, we don't check in your code.

--
Ron