[mythtv-users] PXE Network Boot

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Mar 13 19:55:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Mitch Gore wrote:

> > > 1.  It tries to rename eth0 to eth1 but cant because its busy (durr its
> > > booting of the int.)  How to i disable it bring UP thin int again?
> >
> > I'm not exactly clear there on what is happening there. What I do know
> > (and you'll see this mentioned in that link I gave) is that you can
> > NOT have either of the following in your /etc/network/interfaces
> > allow-hotplug eth0
> > auto eth0
> >
> > The reason is that the adapter has already been brought up. If you
> > take it down, you've lost your connection to the filesystem.

The above is exactly right - for a Debian system.  Possibly also for any
Debian-derived system (e.g. ubuntu).  But Fedora sets up networking
differently than this.

For Debian users, you can also put this into /etc/network/interfaces:

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet manual

That essentially changes eth0 operation into a noop.  The reason this
might be desirable over simply omitting eth0 is that other parts of the
Debian boot process might depend on eth0 actually being up'ed first -
triggering the various nearby if-up.d scripts.  I hit this problem when
trying to set up another NFS client mount.

I've been writing up a long page describing all the fun I've had in
setting up diskless PXE-booted read-only NFS-rooted frontends.  The
writeup isn't finished, but the trick above is in there.  The URL for
the page is here:

http://www.isely.net/mythtv_setup.html

  -Mike

--