[mythtv-users] Goodbye Analog!

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Mar 13 15:47:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:31:15AM -0700, Justin The Cynical wrote:
> I've only run into a pair of downsides to going all digital:
>
> Recordings take up even more room that before (at least in my case)

If you're SD, then this shouldn't happen -- direct-digital MPEG2 files
of network shows, for example, tend (when we acquire them from Sources
Which Shall Not Be Named) to run around 300MB per half hour.

Recording the same show off-air, 700MB per half.

Admittedly, the latter has commercials and the former does not, but the
difference is 30:00 vs 22:40 or so, usually, which certainly doesn't
account for more than half.

Noise *really* doesn't compress well.

Now, if you're going from analog SD to digital *HD*, of course it's
bigger... but I assumed that wasn't what you meant.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)