[mythtv-users] uPNP hardware recommendation..

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Mar 13 15:39:45 UTC 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 9:36 AM, Damian O'Sullivan wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I was going to build a second FE but figured that a uPNP hardware
> device
> would be just as good. Can anyone recommend one? I do not use HD yet
> and
> would have to have wireless. It would be just for music and video off
> the mythtv backend. I was thinking of a PS3 but seen as I am not
> much of a
> gamer that would be overkill. Oh and am in Ireland so can't really
> order
> from the US..

With the PS3, not only do you get a UPnP client and the cool gaming
stuff (should you choose to ever see something that interests you),
but you also get a really great BluRay player. It's a good investment
for when you eventually move to a HD display. The drawbacks of a PS3
are that it's noisy and the controls are awkward if you're not used to
holding a game console (I think you can get a more traditional remote
for it). I work in an office with about 24 PS3 (mixture of consumer
and dev consoles) in about a 50 square-foot space and the whirring of
the fans can be rather annoying.

All that said, please keep in mind that UPnP is relatively new to
mythtv and not everything has sorted itself out yet. Even when it does
work perfectly as intended, you will be missing features that only a
real myth frontend would provide (thus disproving your assumption that
"a UPnP hardware device would be just as good"). For instance, UPnP
will not let you commercial skip like a frontend will. You will be
stuck with whatever interface the hardware gives you instead of being
able to customize like a frontend. You won't be able to upgrade a UPnP
box like you would with the right frontend for (what I'm supposing is)
your inevitable HD future. Plus a frontend can double as a slave
backend if you choose to help with transcoding and commercial skipping
jobs during its idle time.

If you're looking for small, attractive and quiet frontend, I would
suggest a Mac Mini as a pre-built solution. If you're into building
boxes yourself, there are lots of nice small quiet PC cases out there
to start with but often come close to the cost of the mini and when
you consider the amount of time you put into building one, you might
be better off just buy it already done for you. If money isn't as much
of a object, http://www.cappuccinopc.com/ makes some VERY small, very
attractive, silent PC's.

If you're still dead-set on finding a UPnP client, I'm sure others who
have them will chime in. If not, I would say no one is happy with
theirs due to the reasons I gave. ;)

Hope this helps.

-Brad