[mythtv-users] PXE Network Boot

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Mar 12 21:58:02 UTC 2008

> I know in the past there was issues with network booting computers with
> Nvidia cards.  Does anyone know if the issues have been worked out now?

My system PXE boots fine with a motherboard using nvidia 630i chipset
and the onboard nic that uses the forcedeth driver. What I DO have an
issue with is trying to do a suspend to ram with such a setup. The
forcedeth driver currently is corrupted when waking, so you need to
unload it before sleeping and reload it after. Obviously that doesn't
work well when your file system is across the network. I've been
meaning to try and see if I can create a tmpfs, load it with the
necessary files to allow me to unload forcedeth, suspend, wake, and
reload. I just haven't found the time to try.

> I want to network boot a frontend but it has to run XvMC.  With out nvidia the
> entire system is worthless to me.

Wait...are you talking about PXE problems in conjunction with a nvidia
graphics card? That seems odd to me. I don't recall seeing anything
like that, and a quick search didn't turn up anything. But if it
helps, my system also has a nvidia 7100 graphics chip on the
motherboard, and it PXE boots fine.

--
Ron