[mythtv-users] Mythtranscode stuff

John Veness John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk
Wed Mar 12 21:44:57 UTC 2008

I don't know if you're still looking for answers on these... I'm using
UK DVB-T (Freeview).

Damian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm surprised how little information I can find on the net about
> mythtranscoding, so I have a few questions here.
>
> 1) Settings for SD recordings.
> Can anyone share their High, Medium and Low settings (both video and
> audio) to point me in the right direction? I'm in the UK if that makes
> any difference.

I don't use Medium or Low, but I have set High to do Lossless, so I can
cut out adverts without reducing quality (although it does strip out DVB
subtitles, which is annoying.

> 2) Lost audio
> On a couple of tests I've done, I've lost sound all together. I think
> this was when I'd edited cut points as well as transcoding, but can't
> confirm that. Any ideas how to avoid this? Otherwise there doesn't seem
> to be any point in transcoding.

I've had this with DVB-T recordings, transcoded using lossless. When
playing back the affected recording, press the menu and Select Audio
Track and see if another track works. I haven't worked out why this
sometimes happens.

> 3) Quiet, dull audio
> Hopefully looking at other people's settings can help this. I've read
> about the issue when going from HD to SD (I think their problem was 5.1
> audio going to stereo), but I don't think that's the problem I'm having
> here.
>
> 4) Location of the profiles to edit
> Just to confirm, I am editing the correct profiles aren't I? I'm
> changing the settings of High, Medium and Low that are inside
> Setup/Setup/TV Settings/ Recording Profiles/Transcoders. I ask because
> at one point I renamed "High" to read "Lossless", but when I came to
> select a transcoding option, it was still Default/Auto/High/Medium and
> Low that were available.
>
> 5) What's the difference between Default and Auto detect transcoding?
>
> 6) I created a new recording profile (in Setup/Setup/TV Settings/
> Recording Profiles) by mistake. I guess it;s fairly innocent as I don't
> think it's doing anything, but is there a way to delete it?

Try pressing D while it's highlighted. That deletes other things from
similar lists.

> Excuse the list of questions. Looking forward to any responses.
>
> Damian

Cheers,

John

--