[mythtv-users] DViCO FusionHDTV 5 Lite card and Cable Channel Detection

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Mar 12 21:33:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 07:13 -0500, jack snodgrass wrote:

> Does anyone know why ( if ) the DViCO FusionHDTV 5 Lite card can do
> both SD and HD  channels at the same time. Since I see the SD and HD
> channels on my HDTV... I'm assuming that the SD channels are on my
> coax...

The DViCO FusionHDTV 5 Lite card has QAM/8VSB and NTSC demodulators,
but only one tuner, so it can only handle one or the other. QAM on
cable can of course handle both HDTV and SDTV programming, but it
sounds like your service provider is only giving you the HDTV over
QAM and is providing the SDTV over NTSC. This is unfortunate, but
this is allowed by the FCC regulations at least until the OTA digital
switchover is complete. (The waiver may be extended past that point,
but I'm not aware that it has been yet.)

-- Daniel