[mythtv-users] sound problems

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Wed Mar 12 18:50:20 UTC 2008

Florian Bittner wrote:
>> Well, I found one answer.  To get ordinary NTSC stereo to work I need to
>> switch to ALSA:default to ALSA:spdif.  Now I probably need something in
>> the above mplyer command to finish off my problem of no sound while
>> playing non-AC3 stereo.
>>
>> ...thanks
>
> What other settings do you have on the audio settings page? ALSA:spdif doesn't
> work for me, just like ALSA:default.
>
> Did you set max audio channels to stereo or to 5.1?
>
> Audio-Passthrough?
>
> Mixer?

Hum...

I think that is set to stereo.  Which does look suspicious.  But my
receiver does say it is decoding 48KHz (I assume is stereo), 2 channel &
3/2 channel sound depending on the media (NTSC source, ATSC SD source &
ATSC HD source).  And the blue multi channel light (it's a sony) comes
on for the last two formats.

I can't verify this at the moment.  But will try to remember to post the
other settings later.

I also recall that I have 5.1 pass-through checked on the same mythtv
setup screen.  Try that if you haven't already.

Also, settings in the alsamixer might have an impact.  But those would
be global (i.e. anything you use wouldn't work for stereo).  So, as the
built in mythtv player works for me, it should not be an issue. But it
didn't sound like any stereo source would work for you.  So you might
have a look at it.