[mythtv-users] 0.21 and aspect ratios

Mike Smith mike at smithburnett.net
Wed Mar 12 13:07:55 UTC 2008

First up, let me say how stoked I am with 0.21. My upgrade was easy, despite
being a bit ham-fisted at things Linux, and the new features are excellent.
Better performance, better WAF, better interface -- a big thumbs up all
round. I am particularly enjoying the revamped MythWeb, which is a thing of
great beauty.

But one odd problem troubles me. I use a dedicated frontend with an Nvidia
card outputting via VGA to a 1080p LCD TV at 1920x1080. But because I have
DirecTV, most things I'm playing come in at SD and 4:3. This was never a
problem with 0.20, which would automatically add black pillars to the left
and right sides of the video frame so as to maintain proper aspect ratio.
0.21, though, seems to automatically stretch it out to fill the 16:9
display. I'm sure there's some checkbox I'm not seeing somewhere to fix
this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(Other possibly relevant info is that my backends both use PVR-150s, and
when I upgraded the frontend to .21 I did a full OS rebuild, so it is
possible there is something different in xorg.conf or some other config
files that are not directly related to Myth.)

Thanks!

Mike.