[mythtv-users] UK greenfield site... DVB-T or DVB-S?

Dan Gravell dan.gravell at talk21.com
Wed Mar 12 09:29:25 UTC 2008

Up to now I've been using a communal aerial feed for my MythTV setup. This has been 'good enough' with an ok picture but is not good enough to support all DVB-T multiplexes (so I'm told by an engineer that visited). This, added to the fact that Islington council have decided to award the contract to upgrade the aerial to Sky (installation date unknown), means I am considering having my own aerial or dish fitted.

In a greenfield site, would one choose terrestrial or satellite? I'm interested from a MythTV perspective; obviously I know the viewing and content implications. It seems that DVB-T cards are a bit better supported, is this true? Are there things I need to check in order for a DVB-S card to work? Can these work just pointing to the standard Sky satellite? Is HD ever likely on terrestrial?

Ta,
Dan