[mythtv-users] Compiling MythTV on a computer instead of the Xbox

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Mar 12 08:30:00 UTC 2008

>> "Assembler
>> >
>> > I'll try to update the Xebian mythtv packages by this weekend and
>> > document the process for you (if no one beats me to it).
>> >
>> That would be awesome!  wouldnt mind doing it myself so i can maybe keep
>> up
>> with SVN updates!
>>

> Unfortunately, this seems to happen every time a new release comes
> out.  Many people, including myself, have to wait until some kind soul
> out there makes the packages available for Xebian-1.1.4.    That
> usually works for awhile... but anyone who decide to upgrade to
> MythTV-0.21 later on will be asked for the repos to be put back up.
>
> I would love to figure out how to compile this thing and post the
> instructions for all; so that anyone who tries to "join the 0.21
> party" later on, won't have to hope that someone out there can fire up
> their repo.
>
> I tried to reinstall Xebian-1.1.4 today and compile the packages
> myself, following a few of the wiki-pages out there, but I failed.  If
> you do an "apt-get upgrade" with the current version of Xebian-1.1.4
> (pointing to 'sarge' instead of 'stable', apt will attempt to install
> libc6... which seems to be uninstallable.  It complains that xdm is
> still running, and if I tell it to turn off xdm, apt-get seems to
> crash... because something can't run.  Does anyone know how to tell
> apt not to install libc6?
>
> If I do get MythTV-0.21 successfully compiled on my XBox/Xebian-1.1.4,
> I will post step-by-step instructions.

Can you not install xebian in a chroot directory on your main computer or
will it only install into a complete disk partition.

I've not tried with xebian but on gentoo I just installed a stage3 into a
chroot environment and then built everything under that - I just had to
rsync the result to a spare harddrive and boot it on the Xbox. All done!

--
Robin Gilks