[mythtv-users] Mplayer plays underneath mythtv window

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 12 06:00:56 UTC 2008

On 03/11/2008 10:13 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> Ever since I rebuilt my frontend I've been having a problem with playing
> videos in MythVideo using mplayer.  Mplayer launches underneath MythTV,
> so the Myth window obscures the video window -- I just see the
>
> I've tried to fix this both with fvwm settings and with mplayer command
> line options, but I'm not having any luck.
>
> Here's the relevant portion of my .fvwm/config file:
> Style myth* NoTitle, NoHandles, Sticky, WindowListSkip, SloppyFocus,
> GrabFocus, BorderWidth 0
> Style MPlayer* NoTitle, NoHandles, Sticky, WindowListSkip, SloppyFocus,
> GrabFocus, StaysOnTop, BorderWidth 0
>

> And here's my mplayer command line:
> mplayer -stop-xscreensaver -fs -ontop -zoom -quiet -vo xv %s
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?  This is really annoying because there are
> filetypes I can't play with the internal player (e.g., RealVideo).

For those filetypes for which the Internal player doesn't work, use
xine.  This isn't a joking suggestion.  It's what I did before the
Internal player got good filetype support (and it never had the
layer-placement problems that MPlayer did (and MPlayer only had those
problems on 2 of 5 systems using the /exact/ same Fluxbox and MPlayer
configuration and installed versions--i.e. copy the entire ~/.fluxbox
and ~/.mplayer directory structure over).

Mike