[mythtv-users] OT: colorblindness

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 22:21:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Marc Sherman <msherman at projectile.ca> wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>  > On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:50:40PM -0400, Marc Sherman wrote:
>  >> Yeah, I'll do as much of it on my own as I can, and then get my wife to
>  >> go over the colour tests with me for verification.
>  >
>  > I'm curious, cause you don't meet too many people who you know are
>  > colorblind... red-green?  Something else?  How much?
>
>  R/G, but very slight. Basically I have trouble telling shades of red
>  from each other, and a lot of trouble reading red-on-black or
>  black-on-red text. The latter is a big problem for me, considering that
>  I work on server monitoring software. But really, the biggest impact it
>  has on my life is that my wife doesn't let me choose outfits for my
>  daughter to wear.
>
>  It's slight enough that I never knew I had it growing up; I discovered
>  it in a high-school science class when a friend presented a genetics
>  project on colourblindness, and I couldn't read half of the test
>  patterns. My friends all thought I was faking!

Curiously enough, I'm red/green too, but mine seems different to yours.

Looking on a colour wheel, for example, colours with similar
saturation/value, but differing hues are difficult to tell apart.

And, as I'm a web developer, don't ever ask me to come up with a
colourscheme. :) Layouts are done in primary colours, to be later
coloured by designers (Who then give me nice, readable, easy-to-use
RRGGBB colour codes).

And, is it just me, or do blocks of primary red and primary green
(#ff0000, #00ff00) placed side-by-side, "Glow" at the join? It's like
a kind of ringing effect, or halo, on both sides of the join, and it
hurts.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston