[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 21:04:58 UTC 2008

scram69 wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've seen videos on youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHP0Llu1AH0 )
>> of a guy running mythtv right from the Apple TV interface (it takes 10
>> seconds or so to load) but it looks to me like he's launching mythtv from a
>> menu called "applications" or something like that (I can't read the
>> menus...maybe others can).  I'm not sure if that's simply restarting the
>> entire machine, loading Linux and loading mythtv on startup, or if its
>> running on the Apple TV version of Mac OS.  If it's booting Linux, it's
>> doing it awful fast.
>>
>> Anyway, if it works as well as he makes it look, I'd like to have that setup
>> some day.
>>

> Based on the fact that MythFrontend doesn't crash when he exits live
> TV, I'd say he had to be running on Linux...

If he launches it from the "Application" menu, it does not reboot into
linux. As mentioned previously, the Application menu item is a hack from
the awkward TV folks which allows you to launch universal or intel Macos
apps you copy to an ATV. In other words, the Macos myth binary was
copied over, then added to Application's xml config.

I haven't bothered yet as I am in the process of setting up mythrename
and nfs mounts. For playback, I hope to use Sapphire with the Perian
codecs. I'm still waiting for the dust to settle because of the Take2
upgrade.

--
mw